We use a special 3M adhesive tape specifically designed for polyester and epoxy resin surfaces. This tape was designed specifically for this application and creates a very strong bond when installed properly.
Thanks to the light weight and low profile of the FoilMount, there is minimal drag from it moving through the water. You may be able to "feel" the FoilMount during certain activities but it is minimal.
Removal is possible without damage to the board; it is tricky, however. We have made a removal tool system that consists of a water chisel to take the mount off the board and a rotary eraser to remove the excess adhesive. Works great and will not damage your board.
Total thickness with adhesive tape is about 10mm or 0.4 inch. This is it's maximum height off the board after install.
FoilMount with T-nuts but no hardware weighs in at about 1.5 lbs.
If it makes you feel better you can put a short leash with kite line to from around the mast at the base plate to the rear footstraps or leash hole on your board. The FoilMount will not come off the board, but it is hard to trust it until you actually ride it a bit.
Everything breaks at some point. The failure under extreme stress is usually the board or the hydrofoil itself, but it takes a lot of stress to make that happen (enough to break your hydrofoil). Because you can use this on so many different boards in so many different situations it is hard to say for sure, but in none of our tests has a properly installed FoilMount come off a board. In many cases, if the board is strong the T-nuts will pull through the slots before the board fails…whereby saving the board. But, we had to exert more force than any of our test boards could take to get the T-nuts to pull. In the cases where the board broke first it floated the foil as the mount doesn't come off. We have never broke a FoilMount unintentionally because the design is very strong and reliable, it takes a lot of effort to actually get one to break.
- Compatible with 90% of boards on the market. The only ones not compatible either have too much bottom shape or are too narrow at the installation site.
- For good hydrofoiling performance and balance the FoilMount should be installed on a rigid board, but we have had customers successfully mount them on inflatable SUPs, boogie boards, kayaks, water inflatables, etc and actually use them to get up on the hydrofoil; albeit shakily.
- The FoilMount is UV resistant for up to 10 years in direct sunlight
- After a good installation the adhesive and FoilMount plate can take more stress than most surf boards, SUP boards, and hydrofoils and will not be the limiting factor for your hydro foiling experience.
- A removal tool is being engineered but for now the FoilMount is a permanent fixture once installed
- Version 2.0 now has T-nut inserts so different T-nuts can be exchanged in and out easily
- Version 2.0 now has a seamless one piece adhesive backing that is even stronger than the original
- Operational temperatures for the adhesive are -31 degrees to 167 degrees Fahrenheit without loss of strength. Heat actually helps the adhesive to cure unlike other glues etc.
- included brass T-nuts are milled not cast for incredible strength over cheaper cast hardware
- Any hydrofoil with a standard base plate attachment (90mm spacing) will work with the FoilMount
- The Standard Mount will work on most installations for SUPs and Surfboards while the Ridge Mount is good for boards with a chine or concave bottom shape.
- Even on a normal 2 layer glass surfboard the FoilMount’s stiff plate combined with its large adhesive area disperse stresses through the board’s surface allowing it easily take the abuse of surf foiling.
- The biggest advantage of the FoilMount is “less glassing and more riding” as you don’t have to install any sort of tuttle box or track system into your board. This means you can put a foil on all of your boards in a single afternoon.
- When using a standard hydrofoil mounting plate the FoilMount gives you about 4.5” of back and forth movement to get the Hydrofoil in the right spot. Its best attribute however is allowing the user to stick it in the right spot in the first place.
- Unlike other plastic tracks (slingshot, Liquid Force, and other molded tracks), the FoilMount is not heated during production and is instead milled from a solid piece. This gives it consistent strength whereas cheaper counterparts need to be boxed in for added strength and still break.
Both 2.0 versions of the FoilMount measure 13.5" long by 9.5" wide and are 3/8" thick.